Welcome to my teaching blog! This is currently part of my Educational Technology class, but I look forward to using it in the future as a communication tool for students, educators, and potential employers.
Tuesday, April 2, 2019
Classroom Design
This week's task asks us to use Classroom Architect to design a technology-rich classroom in our subject area. For my design, I focused on design principles recommended by the article, "Four Key Elements of 21st Century Classroom Design" that we read for class.
First, I want flexibility in my classroom. Therefore, I focused on moveable workstation tables. I imagine every day utilizing the whiteboard and media screen (with ceiling-attached projector) and small group work. To meet this need, I organized the tables and seating so every student can easily see the screen and are already in small groups. Students will work on laptops/tablets at their tables so there's no need for additional computer stations. When we have a Socratic Seminar or a large-group conversation we can move the tables into a central "conference table" configuration. Or, if all students should be facing forward for an extended length of time, such as if they are watching a film, we can push tables into two long rows facing the screen.
Another quality of 21st century classroom design is furniture designed for differentiated needs. The white squares represent chairs but an exercise ball, wheelchair, or other seating option could just as easily replace a few traditional chairs. I also added two beanbag chairs in case students want to have a different seating option under the window. Moreover, student tables are more functional than rigid, individual desk-chair combinations. As a lefty, I always hated the right-oriented desks and always had to fight the other left-handed students for the single left-oriented desk or drag a second right-oriented desk up to my left side. Now we acknowledge so much additional student learning needs and should accommodate these needs in classroom design.
Technology integration and flexibility is essential. Tech in the classroom is here to stay, but the delivery method changes every decade. While computer stations were cutting edge 20 years ago, now most students have laptops or tablets and there's no need to leave space for bulky desktop stations. I already mentioned I imagine using a projector and screen and want to leave room for this. However, I want the screen to double as my whiteboard or smartboard.
Finally, a 21st century classroom should be light-filled. Many schools have a wall of windows built in to their design but it's not in every classroom. I designed a classroom with windows for natural light and put my desk, beanbag chairs, and a student table near the window for this benefit. Why put my desk under the window? Why not put a second student table? Because I'm highly responsive to natural sunlight and need to "recharge" at different times during the day when I'm not teaching. If I'm at my best in terms of mental health, then I can be my best self as a teacher. For classrooms that don't have much (or any) natural lighting, schools are utilizing more natural-ish lighting with lamps versus the harsh overhead fluorescents.
Overall, the key principle in my classroom design is flexibility. I want to have the ability to change as new research about student learning needs changes.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment