Before returning to school for my teaching license, I worked at Denison University for 12 years, dividing my time between teaching and administrative work. In terms of teaching, I primarily taught First-Year Writing seminars on various topics, but my favorite class was on fairy tales and popular culture. I also taught gender studies and queer studies classes, and learned a great deal about multicultural education, teaching difficult subject matter, and the transformational power of sustained dialogue.
In my administrative capacity, I was the Assistant Director of the Writing Center for two years and specialized in tutoring English Language Learners. Before that, I helped establish and coordinate Denison's interdisciplinary campus theme for eight years. I originally came to Denison from Thurber House, where I learned about program management by coordinating their writer series.
All this is to say my experience has taught me that I love collaborative teaching, diverse ideas and people, and experiential learning. I also care about making students college or career ready, and believe my background in transitioning students to college-level writing can be reverse engineered to prepare younger students for this transition.
This is my first blog, and I look forward to this new adventure in cyberspace!
No comments:
Post a Comment